Thursday, July 29, 2010

End of July Blues

If you would have talked to me 3 months ago, I would have exclaimed that by end of July my kitchen would be back in working order. I had preemptively taken the week of July 26-30 off from work with the idea of painting walls and arranging items in my new cabinets. Ha! To expect the unpredictable is the only predictable thing when it comes to home renovation.

So here we are closing in on the last week of July, and I am sad to report that we are no where close to being finished. A failed plumbing inspection and the large, looming task of roofing our entire house has eaten away our time. I am happy to report that the entire back of our house is roofed and looks beautiful. Last night, in a three-hour span, Scott and I attacked the front of the house and got all the old shingles torn up. We’ll finish prepping the remaining roof tonight so that we’ll be ready for the new shingles by the weekend. As Sunday is supposed to be muggy and near 90, we’re hoping to get the roof finished on Saturday.

From there, we have more fun to look forward to: insulating, sheet rocking, and oh yes, mudding & taping. We are likely going to contract out the mudding & taping because it’s not terribly costly, and the professionals are so speedy and precise.

And then the real fun stuff: priming and paint walls, installing our gorgeous Brazilian walnut flooring, installing our cabinets and countertops, hanging light fixtures, and tiling our backsplash fireplace surround.

Scott and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary over Labor Day. I am hopeful to make us a really nice dinner in our new kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment